Rice & Sand Play Bins


Ethan loves keeping his hands busy like most 4 year old boys. He is definitely a curious boy that needs to have one project/activity after another or he often finds himself in trouble. The rice bin and the sand bins are easy & cheap activities that are great to have for kiddos such as my little man. I bought the long plastic storage bins as a local dollar store for $5 with lids. At the same store, I purchased 3 bags of cheap flour, 2 bottles of baby oil, and 6 bags of rice. My total for both projects was only $16 plus tax!
When we got home, I allowed the boys to make the bins. On the kitchen floor in case of a spill, in one bin they dump all the rice. I had gone through a bunch of their tinker toys and dumped in some army men, baby dinosaurs, old measuring cups, some of their beach toys, etc and that was one bin. For the sand bin, we made our "vacation sand" (recipe on older post) in a bowl then they dumped that in the 2nd bin and added some of their smaller sand toys. These sit on our kitchen floor at different locations and they are great for when I am cooking and wanting to see my little men, talk to them about their days, or even when they need to go somewhere for a "break/time in". It’s comforting, calming, and allows them to utilize their creativity!


 

Pin It